The Scary Red Popup
- Don't be alarmed. These things were designed to scare you so don't panic
- Microsoft would never contact you or have you contact them for support through such popups.
- These popup show up when browsing certain sites that may be infected. That does not mean your computer is infected.
- These popups come in many size, shapes or forms in order to scare you. They contain windows logos and claim to be legitimate. They are not.
- They contain loud audio warning messages that are designed to scare you into calling them. Do not call the numbers even if you know its not legitimate because that only tells them people are seeing these messages.
- If they have links don't click on any of them.
- These things are not hard to close but they will try and maximize on your screen so you think there is no escape.
- Don't put in any credit card information or fill out any forms.
- You will run into one of these eventually. It is only a matter of time. Try to educate yourself as much as you can.
- You can use the windows task manager to end the browser process and restart it. Now most browsers will try to restore what you were looking at before because it thinks it crashed.. In some cases you can and then you can close the tab of the website you were visiting that was showing you the popup.
Some simple steps and information about these things can go a long way. Make sure to spread the word about these things to other users so that they can avoid being scammed. Especially the older generation.